When selecting an elastomer, it is important to know everything you possibly can about the material’s properties, characteristics, and resistances. Having a full understanding of what qualities you will and will not obtain from any particular rubber product will help you to save money, time, and effort. Many elastomers are very similar to each other in theory, but ultimately will have one feature that will help them stand out. In case of silicone rubber, it is generally a very high temperature resistance. Unlike other rubber sheets, it can withstand temperatures above 275° Fahrenheit.
Some elastomers are available in different versions: a commercial grade and a premium grade. Such is the case with red silicone rubber. Red silicone sheets are very appealing because they offer a level of visual stimulation that an otherwise black elastomer would not. In other words, red silicone rubber stands out! In many instances, that simple aesthetic feature of premium or commercial silicone is helpful or required in industrial machinery. Our commercial grade high heat silicone products come strictly in red, while our premium grade versions come with a variety of silicone colors to choose from, one of which is red. Though these products are both available in the same color, they still differ in the characteristics, properties, and availability they offer and because of this there are many pros and cons to each.
Continue Reading Below
Red Silicone Rubber
First, let’s examine the qualities that these two classes of heat resistant rubber sheet products have in common. Commercial grade & premium grade red silicone rubber share the following characteristics:
- These elastomers make for excellent gasket materials and can be used as a solution in harsh environments.
- Both premium and commercial silicone products offer excellent UV and ozone resistance that make them ideal for indoor and outdoor applications.
- Silicone sheets are products that are always stocked. They are also available in a variety of durometers upon request (35-75). The flexibility of these red silicone rubber products can be adjusted to fit your application depending on what your determined specifications are. Please note that custom durometers are made to order, carry longer lead times, and are more expensive.
- Premium and commercial high heat silicone products offer a smooth finish making them ideal for gasket and sheet applications.
All of these properties make for an already excellent selection. However, there may be few differences that might matter to your application. The differences described below regarding premium and commercial silicone may change your mind about which product you would select for your specific application.
Premium Grade Red Silicone Rubber Specific Features:
- Our premium grade silicone sheets are available in red, grey, or black colors.
- These heat resistant rubber sheet products are used in applications that require higher physical properties, such as gasketing applications that require solutions able to withstand harsh environments.
- A wide temperature range of -103° F to 500° F, which is slightly more diverse than the standard commercial silicone products.
- The minimum elongation of our premium grade products is 400%, quite a bit more than the commercial grade products.
- Premium grade red silicone rubber is priced somewhat significantly higher than the commercial grade alternative, making these less cost effective.
Commercial Grade Red Silicone Rubber Specific Features:
- These high heat silicone products are used in applications where physical properties are not critical but extreme temperature resistance is necessary. They have a wide temperature range of -103° F to 450° F which varies slightly from its counterpart.
- The minimum elongation of our commercial grade red silicone rubber is 300%, significantly less than the premium grade options.
- We stock this product in a variety of gauges with 36’’ widths.
- This is the most cost effective of the high temperature elastomers. If this product fits all of your application’s specifications it will also help save your money.
Now that we’ve examined the similarities and differences between these two seemingly like products, it is obvious that their differences will greatly affect the outcome of your application. The cost effectiveness of the commercial silicone products may be just what you need. However, if your application demands higher physical properties than the standard, then the investment in premium grade red silicone rubber may be more significant to the success of your application. If you still aren’t sure which of these heat resistant rubber sheet products will best suit your needs, call and discuss it with one of our rubber experts today!